Monday, September 18, 2006

Every Family Has A Clown. . .


At two, my youngest grandson is exuberantly full of life, all uproarious giggles that can’t help but make you laugh, no matter what is going on. Although he doesn’t yet understand the word “charm”, he embodies it in practically everything he does.

Brown-haired and blue-eyed, some day he will surely break hearts. But right now the only thing he is concerned with is what is happening next.

Since his 3 older brothers are now in school, that leaves only him and his mom at home. He seems to think she is now his exclusively and is enjoying this tremendously.

Every emotion that crosses his heart is written plainly on his face. Whether it is anger when he doesn’t get his way or shyness when he first sees someone, he gives it his all. But the looks I love the best are the ones that project his natural curiosity and ebullient joy at life.

“What are you doing there?” I ask him as I see him peeking around the corner of the loveseat trying to see if I’m paying any attention at all to him.

He looks up over the arm of the loveseat, only his eyes visible. Beautiful blue and sparkling with. . . hmm, something.

“Come over here and see grandma,” I say to him. He ducks his head down and I hear muffled giggles, then his head pops up again, far enough now that I see his round, pink cheeks and laughing mouth.

“Come here” I say again, this time laughing myself. His giggles are definitely contagious and as he pops his head back up again the giggles turn into squeals.

“You are a funny boy,” I declare to him, which seems to make him laugh all the more.

I turn away from him for a minute to see what he’ll do. Out of the corner of my eye I see him pop up yet again and stop and look for a moment trying to figure out if he has lost his audience.

“Hey,” he calls out, “hey!”

I continue to look at the TV and the other 3 boys who are coloring at the table in the dining room.

“HEY,” he exclaims, this time louder and one small chubby hand pats up and down on the arm of the loveseat.

I look at him this time and the room lights up with the splendor of his smile. Perfect little white teeth in a pink mouth are grinning infectiously at me, head cocked to one side, he heads over to me. He reaches up and puckers his lips for a kiss.

I’m totally beguiled. . .

No comments: